Who knows how to deal with bullies better than one who has lived in the world of being the victum bullies all their life? Here are Doug’s Top Ten Antibulling Words. Doug’s words and what they can do in your life are powerful and life changing. Use them. Share them. Live by them.
Doug’s Top Ten Antibullying Words
• Ignore the bully – what he/she is saying and doing
• Turn your back and walk away
• Those who are bullied need to offer support to one another
• Seek the help of adults or persons of authority
Not fight back
• Do not fight back or mouth off although it is tempting because that is reinforcing to the bully
• Maintain respect for yourself and for others who are bullied because you don’t deserve being treated that way
• Offer empathy to someone you see being bullied and stand up for them
Don’t be a bystander
Talk it out
• Discuss your feelings within a group of peers or with an individual you can trust
• “Kill them with kindness.” If you do something kind for a bully it can take him/her by surprise and hopefully make them look at life a little differently
• Having confidence in your own strength and ability gives you the courage to turn and walk away from any situation
I scoured the internet for a list of bullying vocabulary words that I liked. Maybe that’s the speech therapist in me but I couldn’t find a list to please me, so I made my own Kathie’s Top Ten List of Bullying Words.
THIS IS WHERE YOU START TEACHING PEOPLE ON THE AUTISM SPECTRUM ABOUT BULLYING because these are the keywords that I feel are important for our people with ASD to know. They are also words that are important for parents and all professionals to know and understand.
Kathie’s Top Ten Bullying Words
• To threaten or scare a person with words or physical actions
• Someone who sees what is happening without taking part or action
• Telling things about another person that may or may not be true in a negative manner in order to spread lies
• To continuously bother or upset another person with words or actions
• Embarrass or make another person feel unworthy
• To frighten or threaten a person to make them do what you want them to do
• To call a person unpleasant names that are degrading
• To bodily harm another person
• To make fun of someone or laugh at them and make them feel stupid
• To verbally harm another person by what is being said
lETS GET THIS LIST AROUND THE INTERNET ~ SHARE IT ~ TRANSLATE IT ~ TWEET IT ~ SEND TRACKBACKS TO ME ~ COMMENT ~ MAKE IT KNOWN THAT WE WILL NOT TOLERATE BULLYING!